Mohon Aktifkan Javascript!Enable JavaScript

Plants poisonous to dogs

All those people who have decided to take a dog as a pet know that they have taken on a huge responsibility and that our furry friends need enough attention and care to avoid any organic or behavioral problems.

However, some factors can be difficult to control because they pose a threat to our dog but are also found in the external environment, sharing the environment with our pet.

This is the case of plants poisonous to dogs, plants that we can sometimes find regularly in our environment but which pose a serious threat to our friends. Find out what's in this article @dog57








Plants poisonous to dogs
Below we show you plants that are potentially dangerous to dogs, so you can identify and eliminate them from your environment: 

Marijuana: Some scientific studies using dogs to evaluate the effects of cannabis and using maximum doses have come to note that a fatal dog can remain unconscious for 3 days but initially there is no risk. However, it is a poisonous plant, and if our dog ingested it, he would experience changes in heart rate, confusion, excessive salivation, and tremors. 

Lilac: Lilies, like lilies, can be a part of the decoration of our homes, however, they are dangerous for dogs as they can suffer from stomach pains, tremors, and lethargy after ingesting them. 

Sago Palm: This is the terrestrial palm that usually forms part of many gardens. Ingestion of this plant will cause gastrointestinal symptoms in our dogs, such as vomiting and diarrhea, although it can also affect vital organs and end up fatal, due to the possible poison, cicacin. 

Daffodil: Ingestion of this flower causes vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive salivation in our dogs, but it can also have more serious consequences as it can cause heart disorders and seizures. 

Azalea: Azalea is another typical flower that we can find in our environment, and eating it can cause everything from vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling to lethargy and death. 

Castor: Castor seeds cause a burning in the dog's mouth and throat, so we will notice extreme thirst in our pet. Castor poisoning can be accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea. It can even cause the death of the animal. 

Bird of Paradise: This exotic plant that we can find in some gardens can cause our dog discomfort, as well as vomiting and diarrhea. 

Difenbaquia: This plant occupies many decorative pots in homes, and causes both external and internal symptoms. Topically the animal will suffer from irritation, blisters, and infections, internally it will cause a burning sensation in the throat and inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract with difficulty in swallowing, vomiting, and respiratory failure. 

Holly: The fruits, seeds, and leaves of this plant are poisonous, and they cause, above all, manifestations (vomiting, diarrhea, severe abdominal pain) and we will also notice a state of drowsiness. Its poisoning can cause severe dehydration. 

Cyclamen: It contains an active substance called cyclamen that acts as a strong laxative, causing strong diarrhea accompanied by vomiting and abdominal pain. Depending on the dose, we will also notice seizures, kidney failure, and paralysis. 

Oleander or Pink Laurel: All parts of this plant are highly toxic, and produce gastrointestinal symptoms, fever, central nervous system depression, and cardiac disturbances, and can cause death due to cardiac arrest.

Amaryllis: It produces gastrointestinal symptoms with severe vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, as well as lack of coordination, general malaise, and cardiac disturbances. It can even cause the death of the animal. 

Poinsettia: This typical Christmas plant causes local changes in our animal, such as contact dermatitis, ending internally with excessive salivation, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and irritation of the mucous membranes.






signs of poisoning 

In addition to plants, our dog can come into contact with many toxic substances, so it is necessary to know how to recognize the most common signs of poisoning so that we can urgently go to the vet, which will undoubtedly improve the diagnosis of our pet .

If our dog has been poisoned, then we can observe the following manifestations: 

Signs of severe pain

vomiting

the disease

shivering

paralysis

seizures

delirium

mouth bleeding

Unconsciousness

Respiratory distress 

What do you do before eating a poisonous plant?

In the face of any of the symptoms detailed above, it will be essential that you read as soon as possible how to treat a poisoned dog as well as how to make my dog vomit as first aid.

The best option would undoubtedly be to go to the vet and to facilitate veterinary care, we recommend that you follow these steps:

Determine which of the plants poisonous to dogs was able to cause the poisoning, this way we can start first aid more quickly

Call your vet right away, and they will tell you what relief measures to take, which will vary depending on the cause of the poisoning.

Urgently go to a veterinary clinic, if possible, take a sample of the plant with you. 

Prevent ingestion of poisonous plants

Now that you know the variety of plants that are poisonous to your pet, it is important to identify them in your environment and eliminate them whenever possible. In the same way, you should keep an eye on your pet when you are away from home to make sure that it does not swallow any of these plants.

If your dog is lucky enough to be able to walk freely in natural environments, you need to take extreme precautions, as many of these plants can easily be found in the wild. 

Comments
No comments
Post a Comment



    Reading Mode :
    Font Size
    +
    16
    -
    lines height
    +
    2
    -